Monday, February 24, 2014

We Received a Gift Today


Today we received an unexpected email which included lots of photos of Elijah, from about 5 months old until the present.


Oh my goodness, how adorable is he?!


So many adoptees and adoptive parents are never blessed with baby pictures that fill in some missing pieces.


We are so lucky.


Of course, along with these photos -- like so much of anything connected with adoption -- there are mixed feelings.


While I am so happy to have these photos, I am so sad I was not there as his mama when he was a baby.


I can't stop my mother-brain from thinking "how did he get that bruise?"  or "why is he sad in that picture?"


I would be lying if I said I didn't have a little stab of jealousy because someone else is holding my baby when I couldn't.  And, at the same time, I am so grateful someone was. 


I am a bundle of contradictions:  both angry that the paperwork took so long when we were waiting here all along, and also so struck with awe that, against all odds, he is here with us now.


I love this photo because it looks so much like Elijah does today.  It reminds me that he is the same boy, the same soul, even though he is 6 years older.  

It wasn't too late.  He is here now.  And he is such a gift to this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment