Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last day of 2013; last day in China


Today is our last full day in China.  I am not sure if Elijah is quite aware we are leaving tomorrow.  I was planning on having our guide tell him, but we did not end up seeing him today.  So instead, I showed Elijah pictures of airplanes on Google and then pointed to him, Nicholas, and me.  I used Google Translate for the word " tomorrow."  I don't think he has any idea what I was talking about.  He just smiled at me.

Oh well, I will just have our guide tell him as we race to the airport at 6 am.  We have a two and a half hour flight to Shanghai, then we are waiting around the airport for 5 hours (gulp).  Then we are flying home to the States.  We will be wiped out even by the time we start our 15 hour flight. 

But we'll worry about that tomorrow.  Today, we had fun.  We took a taxi to Shamian Island, my favorite spot in Guangzhou.  We stayed on this island during Nicholas' and Ellie's adoptions.  We had a fun lunch at Lucy's which is known for its American food.  I have been surprised to discover that Elijah likes western food more than the Chinese options I've given him.  He loves spaghetti with tomato sauce, hamburgers, French fries, quesadillas etc.




The island has lots of interesting statues.  Here is the one I call "the Fat American." Elijah posed with her.


And then with the guy with the guitar.


And finally I had to have the kids pose with the famous line of children.





Then, we met up with some other Americans who are also adopting.  It was so nice to have some adult conversation and to meet their precious children.


They had all adopted little ones, and 3 of them are about Christopher's age.  Oh, how I miss him.  And all my kids. I can't wait to see them soon.


We walked around the island some more and bought some little trinkets.


I do what I can each day to give the boys plenty of exercise, which is the key to getting them to fall asleep at a decent hour at night.  


Back at the hotel, the boys displayed their souvenirs.  Nicholas insisted on buying this Chairman Mao hat because he thinks he looks like he is in the Chinese military.


He is trying to look as serious as some army dudes we saw guarding a base.


And Elijah went for the silly look instead.


See you back in the States.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Goodbye China, for now. I'm sure you will be here again one day, visiting. Have a wonderful journey home, and try to get some sleep on the plane.
    God holds you in the palm of his hand and he loves you very, very much.

    ReplyDelete